Marvellous MATAKANA & Environs - Active (A)
A personally-curated, high-end, small-group, all-inclusive*, fully-escorted tour on a single-price basis. A bit of action is included in this itinerary for those who want to get the body moving.
The price quoted below is a maximum price on a Single Basis. Bring a friend/partner and that price will be reduced.
This is a semi-active and revitalising trip encompassing nature, history, art, sustenance and more.
The itinerary will be adapted according to the seasons.
For a more Gentle version, click here.
This is a fabulous trip (6 days/5 nights, Monday to Saturday), showcasing the beauty of this area in a behind-the-scenes way that will take your breath away. I have been coming to this area for nearly 50 years and know it intimately and look forward to sharing its secrets with you.
An energising, semi-active trip encompassing nature, history, art, sustenance and more, with plenty of opportunity to get active and plenty of time to relax.
This fully-escorted trip is diverse and includes both mellow and more active elements, with time to relax and explore. A reasonable level of fitness is required for this trip.
NB: There are two versions of this trip - one is more Gentle (G), one is more Active (A).
This is the Active (A) one. Check the (G) tab for the Gentle one. Similar but slightly different!
And there will be some surprises along the way!
*Activities and most meals are included as specified. Optional extras at own cost.
DAY 1: Monday (D) – Journey North
Drive from Auckland to Matakana with a stop in Puhoi en route for lunch and a look-around. Arrive in Matakana and settle in. Evening: Welcome Drink and Dinner
DAY 2: Tuesday (MT, D) - Beaches and Birds
A diverse day. Start at idyllic Pakiri Beach, enjoy yoga and a walk with two lovely Leigh local ladies, with lunch. Explore Matakana Country Park before your Archery lesson/session. A drink and taco at Smith's afterwards will revive you before heading into the bush for an early evening and very special Kiwi-spotting tour with a local guide (suitable for all ages and mobility levels). A truly unique day in paradise.
DAY 3: Wednesday (D) - Cycling and Birds
Hop on your bike today and cycle from Matakana to Pt Wells, then on to Omaha. Stop along the way as you please. We'll have lunch in Omaha and there'll be time to explore Omaha end to end along the pathways. (E-bike is an option). Visit the Omaha Bird Sanctuary before returning to Matakana to for dinner and quiz at the local pub.
DAY 4: Thursday (MT, L, D) - Islands, Bays and Sculptures
Spend the morning on the water discovering this beautiful coast and its islands on a private cruise, including a visit to Kawau Island and Morning Tea on board. Lunch at Brick Bay, with Sculpture trail walk after. Then discover more of the area with a short tour of the local bays and beaches before boarding the Shuckleferry to find out about the local oysters in the Mahurangi Harbour. Time to put your feet up for a bit. Finish the day with a delicious local dinner.
DAY 5: Friday (L, D) - Art and Gardens
Drive around tranquil local bays. Visit Omaio Gardens (a private sanctuary), and the world-class Sculptureum with it's fabulous gardens and galleries. Enjoy a memorable Lunch at their restaurant, Rothko. Enjoy an early movie at the iconic Matakana Cinema. Evening: A casual Farewell Drink and Dinner.
DAY 6: Saturday (L) - Markets & Wine
Visit the renowned Farmers' Market and Craft Market. Last chance to poke around the lovely boutique shops. Tour some of the local vineyards, including a delicious lunch platter before departing back to Auckland early afternoon.
PRICE & DATES
- $3,995 pp – SINGLE occupancy basis, including all activities, and outings as specified, also 5 dinners and 4 lunches.
- Reduced price for couples or if you bring a friend/partner (twin/double share).
- Tour is Monday to Saturday from/to Auckland.
- Dates and final details will be confirmed directly with the group, to suit every member - ensuring flexibility that works for all. Because it's such a small group, we can do it this way to ensure this trip is truly tailor-made to suit.
- Places are strictly limited and subject to availability.
- Secure your spot with a deposit of $500 - non-refundable and subject to availability.
- Accommodation - priced on Single basis. Couples/friends sharing get a reduced rate!
- Ultra-Small group tour – minimum 4, maximum 8 - plus your Personal Travel Companion (PTC).
- A mix of exploring and relaxing. All transport included.
- Lunches/dinners at local cafes and restaurants, as specified.
- This is a stay-put trip, unpack once.
- Everything is close by - surrounded by diverse and gorgeous nature at every turn.
- Final date of travel to be determined by the group.
- Be prepared for a totally unique behind-the-scenes surprise or two along the way!
- Transport to/from Auckland, and to/from all activities and tours.
- Accommodation – based on Single occupancy (reduced rate for double/twin share basis).
- Special Welcome drink and dinner; Farewell drink and dinner.
- Quality Meals and drinks as specified (others at own cost).
- Activities, as specified, including a very special Kiwi-spotting evening tour.
- Personal companion/escort/guide/entertainment director - be prepared for lots of laughs and fun!
- Domestic travel to/from Auckland for those living outside of Auckland.
- Personal expenses.
- Meals out/drinks not specified as included (breakfasts, 2 lunches).
This itinerary has been designed with elements of activity.
Guests will need to have moderate fitness and good mobility.
If you have minor travel or health issues, that is okay.
Note: The Kiwi spotting expedition is an evening one, walking through the bush. It is flat and gentle and we'll have a guide. A highlight!
Come along for a fulfilling trip full of action, history, discovery and fun. The focus is on fabulous days and fun evenings.
NB: Some elements may change due to weather, tide etc and will be replaced with another excursion or activity that will be satisfying.