Marvellous MATAKANA & Environs - Gentle (G)
A personally-curated, high-end, small-group, all-inclusive*, fully-escorted tour on a single-price basis. A gentle pace is assured.
The price quoted below is a maximum price on a Single Basis. Bring a friend/partner and that price will be reduced.
This is a laid-back yet revitalising trip encompassing nature, history, art, sustenance and more.
The itinerary will be tailor-made according to the seasons.
For a more Active version, click here.
This fabulous and unique trip (6 days/5 nights, Monday to Saturday), showcases the beauty and diversity of this amazing area in a behind-the-scenes way that will take your breath away. I have been coming to this area for nearly 50 years and know it intimately and I look forward to sharing its many secrets with you, as well as introducing you to the wonderful local people who make this area so incredibly special.
This fully-escorted trip takes things slowly, at a gentle pace, so you can wind down and enjoy all the area has to offer. Ideal for those who are less mobile and enjoy a slower pace.
NB: There are two versions of the Marvellous Matakana trip. This one is more Gentle (G), the other is a more Active version (A). Similar, but slightly different!
And there will be some surprises along the way!
*Activities and most meals are included as specified. Optional extras at own cost.
DAY 1: Monday (D) – Journey North
Drive from Auckland to Matakana with a stop in Puhoi en route for lunch and a look-around. Arrive in Matakana and settle in. Evening: Welcome Drink and Dinner
DAY 2: Tuesday (MT, L, AT, D) - Beaches and Birds
A diverse day. Start at Morris & James Pottery with a tour and morning tea at their new cafe. Enjoy the beauty and serenity of Pakiri and Omaha Beaches, including a visit to the Omaha Bird Sanctuary. Lunch in Leigh en route, famous for its local fresh fish. Enjoy time browsing the offerings at the Matakana Country Park.
Early Evening: A very special Kiwi-spotting tour with a local guide (suitable for all ages and mobility levels). A truly unique day in paradise, finishing with Pizza for dinner.
DAY 3: Wednesday (D) - History and Shopping
Step back in time with a visit to the delightful Warkworth District Museum and the heritage listed Cement Works ruins. Tour the local chocolate factory. Free time for lunch and shopping in this charming township. Find out all about oysters on an oyster farm cruise in the Mahurangi Harbour. Enjoy dinner and Quiz at the Matakana Pub.
(Keen golfers may opt to have a round of golf today instead of shopping).
DAY 4: Thursday (MT, L, D) - Islands, Bays and Sculptures
Spend the morning on the water discovering this beautiful coast and its islands on a private cruise, including a visit to Kawau Island and Morning Tea on board. Lunch at Brick Bay, with Sculpture trail walk after. Then discover more of the area with a driving tour of the local bays and beaches. Time to put your feet up and end the day, finishing with a delicious local dinner.
DAY 5: Friday (L, D) - Art and Gardens
Drive around tranquil local bays. Visit a private garden sanctuary and the world-class Sculptureum with it's fabulous gardens and galleries. Enjoy a memorable Lunch at their restaurant, Rothko. Enjoy an early movie at the iconic Matakana Cinema. Evening: A casual Farewell Drink and Dinner.
DAY 6: Saturday (L) - Markets & Wine
Visit the renowned Farmers' Market and Craft Market. Last chance to poke around the lovely boutique shops. Tour some of the local vineyards, including a delicious lunch platter before departing back to Auckland early afternoon.
PRICE & DATES
- $3,995 pp – SINGLE occupancy basis, including all activities, and outings as specified, also 5 dinners and 4 lunches.
- Reduced price for couples or if you bring a friend/partner (twin/double share).
- Tour is Monday to Saturday from/to Auckland.
- Dates and final details will be confirmed directly with the group, to suit every member - ensuring flexibility that works for all. Because it's such a small group, we can do it this way to ensure this trip is truly tailor-made to suit.
- Places are strictly limited and subject to availability.
- Secure your spot with a deposit of $500 - non-refundable and subject to availability.
- Accommodation - priced on Single basis. Couples/friends sharing get a reduced rate!
- Ultra-Small group tour – minimum 4, maximum 8 - plus your Personal Travel Companion (PTC).
- A mix of exploring and relaxing. All transport included.
- Lunches/dinners at local cafes and restaurants, as specified.
- This is a stay-put trip, unpack once.
- Everything is close by - surrounded by huge diversity and gorgeous nature.
- Final date of travel to be determined by the group.
- Be prepared for a totally unique behind-the-scenes surprise or two along the way!
- Transport to/from Auckland, and to/from all activities and tours.
- Accommodation – based on Single occupancy (reduced rate for double/twin share basis).
- Special Welcome drink and dinner; Farewell drink and dinner.
- Quality Meals and drinks as specified (others at own cost).
- Activities, as specified, including a very special Kiwi-spotting evening tour.
- Personal companion/escort/guide/entertainment director - be prepared for lots of laughs and fun!
- Domestic travel to/from Auckland for those living outside of Auckland.
- Personal expenses.
- Meals out/drinks not specified as included (breakfasts, 2 lunches).
This itinerary has been designed with gentleness in mind.
Guests do not require high fitness or mobility.
If you have minor travel or health issues, that is okay.
Note: the Kiwi spotting expedition is an evening one, and requires walking in the bush, but it is flat and gentle and even wheelchair friendly! A highlight!
Wheelchair/scooter/walker can be arranged if required.
Come along for a mellow and fulfilling trip full of history, discovery and fun. The focus is on fabulous days and fun evenings.
NB: Some elements may change due to weather, tide etc and will be replaced with another excursion or activity that will be satisfying.